你怎能那么肯定

字號:

SCENE② D 吉娜與戴夫在各自的隔間里工作
    Dave: Do you really think we can beat WebTracker?
    戴夫:你真覺得我們能打敗“網路搜尋家”?
    Zina:Of course.
    吉娜:當然。
    Dave:How can you be so sure? Do you know something I don't?
    戴夫:你怎能那么肯定?你是不是知道什么隱情?
    Zina:I have a plan for 1) handling WebTracker. Step one is the Stars.com 2) contract.
    吉娜:我有對付“網路搜尋家”的計劃。第一步就是拿到Stars.com的合約。
    Dave:What's step two?
    戴夫:那第二步是什么?
    Zina:Don't worry about that, Dave. Look, I have to see Vince now. Think about what I said.
    吉娜:不用操心,戴夫。聽著,我現(xiàn)在要去找文斯。你想想我說的話。
    語言詳解
    A: I can't handle having so much homework.
    功課這么多,我應付不過來。
    B: Maybe you should get a tutor.
    也許你該去找個家教。
    「Do you know something I don't? 你是不是知道什么隱情?」
    要向對方打聽秘密的說詞很多種,直接的辦法如Tell me the secret 或Let me know what you have found out 等等。但比較婉轉的似比較好,上面對話中的Do you know something I don't? 就是不錯的說詞,這句話的意思是Do you know something I don't know?
    A: Our football team is going to win the match at 2 to 1 this afternoon.
    我們的足球隊下午會以二比一踢贏球賽。
    B: Wait a minute. Do you know something I don't?
    稍等一下。你是不是知道什么隱情?
    A: If you are a gambler, you have your ways to get tips.
    如果你是個賭徒,你總有辦法弄到內部消息。
    B: Are you sure the other team can be bought?
    你真的認為客隊是可以收買的嗎?
    1) handle (v.) 對付,應付
    2) contract (n.) 合約